Wondering if composite fillings may be right for you? Take our quiz to find out more...
Oral Health Quiz:
You have a choice in the material used to make your fillings:
- Silver Fillings (Amalgams), or
- Tooth-Colored Fillings (Composites)
Benefits of composites over amalgams
- Are matched to the shade of the tooth
- Make the tooth much less likely to crack or fracture
- Use a more technically advanced material that makes the tooth stronger
- Requires less tooth removal than amalgams
Why do composites cost more than amalgams?
- Composites take longer for the dentists to place because they’re more technique-sensitive than amalgams
- The materials are more costly
- Most insurance companies only want to pay for the cheaper amalgams, by downgrading the insurance coverage to that of an amalgam. This results in a larger balance due from you