Advantages, Risks And Costs Of Dental Implants
When your dentist tells you it’s time for a dental implant, you may have some concerns. Fortunately, dental implants are becoming more common procedures and can make a big, positive difference in your dental health. They can replace missing or damaged teeth and keep the integrity of your dental health.Though it can be a more invasive procedure than some other types of dental work, dental implants have some significant advantages. Let’s take a look.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Dental implants are the best long-term and cost-effective procedure. According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, dental implants are built to last and with proper care and good placement by your family dentist or implant specialist, they will be with you for a lifetime.
- Dental implants are the closest thing to your natural teeth. Perhaps you lost a tooth to injury or maybe your tooth needs to come out due to excessive decay. Either way, an implant will look, feel, fit and function very close to your natural tooth.
- Dental implants maintain the integrity of your mouth. They keep your bone structure and other teeth in line. Because they are fused into your jaw- bone, you won’t experience bone loss or other changes in your face shape or teeth. Dental implants will not decay. Though you still need to care for implants by brushing and flossing, visiting your dental office, and maintaining healthy gums around it, there is no risk of decay.
Risks of Dental Implants:
- Despite all of the advantages, there is always some risk when it comes to any procedure, including dental implants. Dental implants can be painful. With any dental procedure, you are at risk for some pain. If your dentist handles your pain well during the procedure with anesthesia and medication, the pain will be minimal. Also, make sure to take any pain medication after the procedure to prevent pain, soreness and swelling.
- If you smoke or have other medical conditions, you may be more at risk for complications. According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, some of these risks may be damage to other teeth, tooth roots, sinus problems; fractures; nerve damage that can result in pain, numbness or tingling; inability to complete the procedure due to inadequate jawbone; and implant failure.
- Despite these risks, dental implants are a very successful procedure and with an expert in dental implants, you will recovery nicely.
Cost of Dental Implants:
Like any other procedure, the cost of dental implants will vary from patient to patient. The average range is around $3,000 to $4,500, according to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry. Remember, this procedure should last a lifetime, so though the cost may seem high up front, you won’t have any further costs at a later time
Speak with your provider about insurance costs as plans vary from person to person and providers. Sometimes insurance will cover part of the procedure. Watkin Dental Associates is an expert in the field of dental implants. Please contact us 978-345-6919 for more information about this procedure. Our team of dental specialists is dedicated to providing your best dental care.
The Top 10 Beneﬁts of Dental Implants
How do you feel about your smile? Our smiles are one of the ﬁrst things people notice about us. That is because nice teeth can give the impression of health and vitality. Missing teeth can be embarrassing, and negatively impact the health of your mouth and jaw. Thankfully, there are a few options available if you have missing teeth, including dental implants. Following are some beneﬁts of dental implants.
Your smile can convey health, vitality and conﬁdence!
Dental Implants Look Like Real Teeth
Unlike dentures, dental implants are the next best thing to having your real teeth. They look natural, and it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a dental implant and a real tooth. That's something to smile about!
Dental Implants Prevent Bone Loss
Because dental implants fuse with your jaw, they prevent the bone loss that can occur with missing teeth. When your jawbone is not supporting natural teeth, it may deteriorate, affecting the shape of your jaw and face. Dental implants replace your natural teeth, thereby inhibiting bone loss and promoting healthy bone growth.
No Embarrassing Slip-Ups
Dentures may loosen as your jawbone changes over time. Then when you least expect it, your dentures may separate from your gum line and cause an embarrassing situation. There's no need to worry about this with dental implants. Dental implants ﬁt securely and snugly, working and acting just like real teeth.
Implants Don't Need To Be Replaced
If you've ever had a removable or even a permanent bridge to replace a few missing teeth, you know that after several years you will probably need a new one. Dental implants, on the other hand, are a more permanent solution and may last a lifetime with proper care and cleaning.
Dental Implants Do Not Get Cavities
They look like real teeth. They act like real teeth, but they won't decay like real teeth. Dental implants have most of the beneﬁts of natural teeth, but unlike your real teeth, you can be sure you will never get cavities in your dental implants.
Dental Implants Will Not Interfere With Healthy Teeth
When a cosmetic dentist performs bridgework to replace missing teeth, the healthy teeth surrounding the area are ﬁled to accommodate the bridge. This causes further damage to your teeth and may result in additional problems over time. Dental implants do not require support from surrounding teeth, leaving them healthy and intact.
You Can Eat Your Favorite Foods
Dentures and bridges may look nice, but often they can interfere with the enjoyment of certain foods. They can slip or break when biting into something ﬁrm, causing embarrassment and additional dental work. Because dental implants work like natural teeth, they allow you to conﬁdently enjoy the foods you love.
Enjoy your favorite foods.
Implants Won't Affect Your Speech Like Dentures Can
Sometimes dentures can change the way your voice sounds. Perhaps they slip when you speak, preventing you from pronouncing your words the way you used to. Because dental implants are as natural as your own teeth, you will never have to worry about how you sound to others.
They Will Keep You Smiling
Dental implants can restore your conﬁdence and your smile. When you have beautiful teeth, people will notice, and you will ﬁnd yourself smiling a whole lot more.
Dental Implants Are More Predictable Than Other Types Of Tooth Replacement
When compared to dentures and bridges, dental implants have proven to be a long term, reliable option for people with missing teeth. The reliability and predictability of success with dental implants surpasses other tooth replacement options.
Nothing can take the place of the teeth you were born with, but dental implants are the next best thing. There are countless beneﬁts to having dental implants when compared to other types of tooth restoration, and improving your beautiful smile is only the beginning! Our team at Watkin Dental Associates are experts in cosmetic dentistry. We accept most dental insurance plans, and provide you with access to all dental specialists in one convenient location. If you would like to learn more about dental implants, or make an appointment, please contact us today